A New Jersey man accused of sexually assaulting two minors was arrested in North Carolina after fleeing the state, ending an interstate manhunt and setting the stage for extradition proceedings.
WEBDESK – Act Global Media – January 28, 2026
A New Jersey man accused of sexually assaulting two minors was arrested in North Carolina after authorities say he fled the state while under investigation, prompting a coordinated interstate search.
Gilmar Da Silva Carvalho, 29, of Riverside, was taken into custody late Friday in Watauga County, North Carolina, by the U.S. Marshals Service, according to a statement from the Riverside Police Department. He is accused of sexually assaulting juveniles in two separate Burlington County communities.
Police said the investigation began earlier this month after allegations surfaced that Carvalho sexually assaulted a juvenile in Riverside. As detectives pursued the case, he was also identified as a suspect in a separate sexual assault involving a minor in Willingboro.
Arrest warrants were subsequently issued charging Carvalho with multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal sexual contact. Authorities said his whereabouts were initially unknown and there were indications he had left New Jersey, raising concerns he was attempting to evade arrest.
Riverside police then coordinated with the New Jersey State Police and the U.S. Marshals Service, which tracked Carvalho to North Carolina. He was apprehended without incident and remains in custody pending extradition back to New Jersey.
Law enforcement officials emphasized the role of interagency cooperation in locating and arresting the suspect across state lines.
The Riverside Police Department is urging anyone with information related to the case to contact its detective bureau at 856-461-8820, Ext. 114, or to submit tips anonymously through the department’s website.
Authorities noted that the investigation remains ongoing.
