French cybercrime prosecutors raided X’s Paris offices as part of an expanding investigation into alleged algorithm manipulation, illicit data practices and the platform’s possible role in spreading illegal content.
WEBDESK – Act Global Media
The cybercrime unit of the Paris prosecutor’s office raided the French offices of X on Tuesday as part of a widening investigation into alleged algorithm manipulation, illicit data extraction and the spread of illegal content on the platform.
French prosecutors said the search was carried out with the support of the national cybercrime police unit and Europol, marking a significant escalation in an inquiry first opened in January 2025.
The investigation was launched after a French lawmaker alleged that biased algorithms on X may have distorted automated data processing systems. Since then, the probe has expanded to include suspected complicity in the dissemination of child sexual abuse material, sexually explicit deepfake content, denial of crimes against humanity and organized manipulation of digital systems, according to a statement from the prosecutor’s office.
There was no immediate response from X, which is owned by Elon Musk.
Prosecutors confirmed that Musk and former X chief executive Linda Yaccarino have been summoned for voluntary questioning in Paris on April 20, 2026. Yaccarino stepped down from her role in July last year after serving two years as CEO.
Authorities said the summons were issued to both executives in their capacity as de facto and de jure managers of the platform at the time of the alleged offenses.
In a notable institutional shift, the Paris prosecutor’s office also announced it would no longer communicate via X, stating it will now use LinkedIn and Instagram for official updates.
The raid adds to mounting regulatory pressure on major technology platforms in Europe, where authorities have increasingly scrutinized algorithmic transparency, data handling practices and the spread of harmful or illegal content online.
The investigation remains ongoing, with prosecutors saying further legal steps will depend on evidence gathered during the searches and upcoming interviews.
